I am writing from Havana, Cuba. This is my third year of medical school. I study at the Latin American School of Medicine (Escuela Latinoamericana de Medicine - ELAM) with 4,000 students from more than 100 different countries. I will be here for the next 3 years...

These are my tales of Medicine and Mischief...

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Stuck in Paradise

Today is a much better day. I haven't cried once. Yesterday, I cried from 5:30 in the morning when I didn't get to say goodbye to a special friend, until 8 o'clock last night when I fell into my hostel bunk bed in downtown Cancun. I slept for a solid 12 hours. I was physically and emotionally exhausted. It is now 34 hours later and I am holding out strong in the Cancun International Airport, waiting to see if I can fly stand-by to Cuba tomorrow. I am 2nd on the wait list, but the wait list has not been moving. I will otherwise fly out Sunday, 6 days after arriving disheveled and heart broken and without my luggage. I found a med school friend here in the same predicament. A cup of coffee later and her company to boot is helping me to see the humor in this all.

Thanks to many of you for your words of encouragement. Thank you especially to those of you who have helped me out so much through the summer. Thank you Boozy and Elizabeth for your open hearts and open home! Thank you Portia and Sedonia for providing me privacy and peace of mind for the coming year! Thank you Kinny for the emotional support that will keep me going! Thank you Mom and Dad for your continuous encouragement! Thank you Namaw for the books! Thank you Sarah and Ray for having me up to Colorado! I hope your home stays safe. Thank you Shelley Smith for your continued support and ever-flowing ideas! Thank you Barbara Gurtner for the blossoming friendship and the home town fun! Thank you Anneke for being the first one to hit the donate button! Thanks to my wonderful Austin friends who are planning a benefit concert to get me home for Christmas... Raina my sister, Mustang, and Jimmie Dreams with the Love Leighs, Raina Rose, Johann Wagner, Deemo with The Blue Hit, Jason Weems, Rebecca Loebe! Thanks y'all! I am so blessed!!!

2 comments:

  1. Star you are loved and cherished. I need an address to send care packages to. I unfortunately can't send money, but I have abundance of things you could use! Much love my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dear sister, isn't she amazing. Gonna save the world...this one, she inspires me to be great than myself for the greater good. Lets bring her home for Christmas, yeah.

    this is not jimmies dreams by the way, hehe. It's Raina, surprise.

    ReplyDelete