I am writing from Havana, Cuba. This is my third year of medical school. I study at the Latin American School of Medicine (Escuela Latinoamericana de Medicine - ELAM) with 4,000 students from more than 100 different countries. I will be here for the next 3 years...

These are my tales of Medicine and Mischief...

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Esplendido means Splendid

I am an international cigar smuggler. I'm not worried, my name is already on their list. I brought only a small carry-on home from Cuba. My international flight from Mexico got shuffled through customs in Houston.
I went on instinct when I declared that I'd been in Cuba. Why not? I have a valid travel license from the Treasury Department. I approached the desk and handed the agent my papers.
"So, you've been in Cuba?"
"Yes, I have."
"And why have you been in Cuba?" I reminded myself to keep it simple.
"I go to school there. Here is my license."
"You'll show that at your next stop." She scribbled something on my paper.
"Welcome back."
I walked down the long glass corridors separating domestic and international travelers. It had been so long since I'd been so air-conditioned. I walked past the baggage claim and up to the next place where the masses are arranged and funneled through.
"Don't forget your bags." The next agent was helpful.
"This is all I've got." I gave them my papers. There was a large "C" by my name. I figure it was either a C for Cuba or a C for "Check this one out". One and the same I reckon.
"Ma'am, please follow the red line around to the left."
The red tape on the floor led me into a large room with several men dressed in serious uniforms. So this is where the "red tape" saying comes from, I thought to myself. I was the only traveler in there. I walked up to the second table.
"Where do you want it?"
"Right over here, please."
I set my bag on the cold, metal examining table. They were going to dissect it. They would find my pretty little wooden box full of Cohiba Esplendidos all wrapped up in pink lacy lingerie.
There was some small talk. Agent Next was about my age. I decided to be more engaged with this one, but not too talkative because thats suspicious. We talked about the school, cuban food, and cuban baseball and then he got serious.
"So, did you bring anything back from Cuba?" He hadn't looked through my bag yet.
"No."
"Nothing at all. Not even a rock?"
"Nothing."
"Are you sure? You did not make any purchases? Because if you brought anything, anything at all back, and you don't tell me, you are going to be in really big trouble." I paused.
"Ok. I have a box of cigars." I smiled slightly and kept my eyes locked on his.
"Oh, so you lied to me, because just a minute ago you said you had nothing." He walked away and came back in a few minutes with another agent.
"She is coming from Cuba," he said to agent 2. He handed him my license.
"Well this is a valid license. She is allowed to be there." The conversation between them went on and it became clear to me that agent 2 did not know about the cigars. I said nothing. He eventually walked away.
"So let me ask you again," said agent number 1, "Do you have anything from Cuba with you? Anything at all? Any alcohol? Any tobacco or jewelry?" He was rummaging through my few things.
"No," I said with the same slight smile. He undressed the negligee from the box.
"Good. Because you could get into a lot of trouble if you did." He smiled and I went running off to catch my flight to Austin.


This blog is my work, my income. This is how I intend to support myself through the next 5 years. I need your support. I don't have the same access to loans and grants that other medical school students have. While Cuba has given me this full scholarship to study medicine there, it does not cover the cost of books and supplementary materials, nor does it cover the cost of traveling back and forth from the island once or twice a year to be with friends and family. I need donations. My book wish list right now is over $1000! These are the materials that I need to be studying to do well on my US Board Exams.

Donations large and small are very appreciated. I am also interested in large personal loans. I will post the stories of my adventures in medicine on a monthly basis. Life in Cuba is really fascinating. No doubt there will be some great tales to come! Please feel free to leave comments and ask questions. Also, share this blog with anyone you know who is interested in medicine or mischief! Thank you so much for your support! Heather*

No comments:

Post a Comment